Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fahrenheit 9/11

I wonder consider myself fairly politically liberal.  The soundtrack was the first aspect of the film to stand out to me.  The images would not have struck me as odd if the music was not with it. The soundtrack transformed these images into an eerie flashback of various speeches and press conferences and had a "limited access" emotion.  This sense of eerie images and limited dialogue caused me to wonder what would happen next.  The next scene is what I came to intrepret as the black box recordings.  Not only did I find these recording intrusive and disrespectful but after listening to this scene I had to turn off the film.  The fact that a private moment such as this was exploited by Moore disgusted me.  When thinking about the film all I can think about is the first 5 min, that include that black screen only voices and sounds scene.  To have such a strong opinion of a film is rare for me, however, it did a great deal to help me understand the "anti-Moore" sentiment in America today.

 

1 comment:

  1. After the discussion in class about the film my opinion went from disgust to "okay I get it now." While others might think other scenes or footage was offensive in the film, overall I thought the film was done well and somewhat humorous at times. Michael Moore plays on "skirting the line" of controversy, his bold moves in terms of narration and soundtrack (with the exception of the first minutes) do wonders for his argument. The wit behind these choices cannot be denied, even if controversial and at some times very offensive.

    ReplyDelete