Wednesday, November 4, 2009

SICKO

Michael Moore's Sicko is a film that draws much on pathos as opposed to any other rhetorical appeal. His use of pathos via personal stories and interviews had a very strong effect on me. Listening to horror stories on victimization in the healthcare system was difficult to watch, despite my opposition to government run healthcare. It was difficult to remain unbiased when watching this film because of my viewpoint. I understand that health insurance companies are corrupt and do deny people for ridiculous things to save money, but I haven't personally run into these problems. Not to say I am unsympathetic more so it is difficult to identify with the victims. There were several personal stories/interviews that had a big impact on me. Donna and her husband's story, Tracy and his wife, and the woman who's insurance denied coverage of her ambulance (despite being unconscious after a car accident). These people tugged on my heart strings, but I still stay fairly firm on my viewpoint that socialized healthcare would impact patient care. To me that is more of a doctor/government issue not necessarily an insurance company issue.

1 comment:

  1. Michael Moore employs something I would like to refer to as the "Michael Moore Ridiculous Factor," this factor is used when Moore is trying to make sarcastic, ridiculous claims in a blunt/flashy manner. While his methods are often ridiculous, shouting through a megaphone at Guantanamo Bay, his use of this shock value "did that really just happen" is largely effective. While I normally disagree with the claims he makes in his films, he is an extraordinary risk taker. By shouting through a megaphone, using a sarcastic overtone and producing witty analogies Moore achieves success. However, his risk taking tragedies strongly juxtapose against the scenes of emotional turmoil created by personal testimonies and interviews. His skill as a film maker, especially when discussing rhetorical appeals is undeniable.

    ReplyDelete